Aspirational Chinese will inevitably lead to the democratization of the Chinese government.
- Government is so corrupt it is unable to transform itself and therefore will have transformation forced upon it. E.g. Xi Jin Ping's politburo is conservative.
- Chinese are becoming wealthier and want more incl. democracy/human rights.
- Internet means news gets out and then is covered up afterwards, making the Party's role in censorship embarrassingly clear.
- Chinese are looking for ideologies, something to belief in. Party fails to provide that.
- Frustration over Party corruption and lack of meritocracy. Also growing inequality.
- Are dissidents representative? Are they the pioneers of a new movement or an irrelevant fringe? Are western journalists looking for a story making something out of nothing?